Get the latest from the Gantt & subscribe to our mailing list.
Adult Painting: The Black Female Muse
About This Program
Join us for a special painting workshop celebrating Women's History Month. Led by artist and business owner Cathay Dawkins, this workshop honoring the Black woman as muse is designed for all levels – from absolute beginners to experienced painters. Cathay will guide participants through each step of creating a painting while answering questions. After your masterpiece is complete, you will have the option to present your work on screen.
To enhance the experience, we have provided a link to a curated playlist that participants can enjoy as they paint at home. We've also shared recipes for two cocktails (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) that you are encouraged to create and enjoy during the workshop. Scroll down for more!
- 1 art canvas panel board 11x14"
- 3 paint brushes (Thin and medium-sized)
- Acrylic paint set with 10-12 basic colors
- Tabletop tripod or something that will hold your canvas up as you paint
About Cathay Dawkins
Cathay Dawkins is founder of several businesses including, Dawkins Landscape Designs, and not-for-profit organization, Beyond The Arts! Yet, his most successful venture is, Black Business Owners of Charlotte (BBOC). BBOC was established In 2014 and provides business development services and creates avenues for economic empowerment within black communities. Cathay is passionate about enriching the community with his God-given talents, activism, and entrepreneurial experiences and takes his calling very seriously! His most used quote is: “We must become intentional in supporting Black businesses, and that includes driving a little further, paying a little more, and accepting small sacrifices for the greater good of the Black community”. He is a church member of Elevation-Blakeney and his org BBOC, hosts a monthly “Day of Service” community outreach initiative that provides various forms of support for those experiencing hard times.
To enhance the experience, click/tap here for a curated playlist that you can enjoy as you paint along at home.
Here are two recipes for cocktails (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) that you are encouraged to create and enjoy during the workshop.
Minted Blueberry Lemonade
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 packages (6 ounces) Driscoll's blueberries, divided
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Seltzer water (optional)
- Place 1/2 cup sugar into a small saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup water, 1 package blueberries, and 1/2 cup mint leaves.
- Bring blueberry simple syrup to a simmer over medium heat and STIR occasionally until sugar dissolves, 3-6 minutes.
- Mash berries gently with back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Strain blueberry simple syrup through a fine mesh sieve into a tall pitcher and discard solids.
- Stir in 1 cup lemon juice.
- Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cup water and aside lemonade.
- Divide 1 cup ice cubes between 4 tall glasses.
- Top each glass with several blueberries.
- Divide lemonade between glasses.
- Top with seltzer water, if desired.
- Serve Minted Blueberry Lemonade immediately. Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup peach schnapps or peach liqueur
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice (or any red juice with cherry or raspberry in it)
- Splash of ginger ale
- Rim glasses in a bit of corn syrup and sugar if desired. Set aside.
- Add ice to cocktail shaker, then add all ingredients. Cover shaker and shake a few times until cold. Pour into prepared glasses.
- Garnish with a toothpick with maraschino cherries and strawberries if preferred. Enjoy!
How To Participate
The workshop will be streamed live via Zoom. Click/tap here to access the live stream on March 11.
Also, if you would like to watch live, please tune in to the Gantt Center's official YouTube channel here.