ABOUT THIS PROGRAM
Join the Gantt Center as we celebrate the creators of the award-winning book, Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut. Kirkus Reviews says “This book oozes black cool and timely, much-needed black joy, using the unique and expansive experience of the barbershop to remind young boys that their inner lives have always mattered there.”
Writer Derrick Barnes and Illustrator Gordon C. James will read their new book, discuss the process of creating a picture book and sign copies of Crown before leading writing and portrait painting workshops for students.
The reading is free to all, however an RSVP is required. For one price, students may participate in both the writing and painting workshops for their age group.
- 11:00 AM - 11:45 AM: Reading and book signing - RSVP HERE
- 12:00 Noon: Portrait painting workshop (ages 5-13) - RSVP HERE
- 12:00 Noon: Writing workshop (high school+) - RSVP HERE
- 1:00 PM: Portrait painting workshop (high school+) - RSVP HERE
- 1:00 PM: Writing workshop (ages 5-13) - RSVP HERE
Listed as one of the best picture books in 2017 for 5-12 year-old readers, Kirkus Reviews concludes, saying Crown is “one of the best reads... in years [and] should be in every library, media center, and, yes, barbershop.”
Family First is generously sponsored by:
Share This Info